Since I want to practice what I preach (I hate when people can’t back up what they say in these blogs/articles), I’ll let you in on what I’m going to be going through this week
Remember: never go grocery shopping hungry! You’ll end up with the always-delicious (but always-loaded with fillers) Publix sub or some other pre-made lunch. I plan on eating some fish tacos at a local restaurant before stepping foot into my local Publix. Remember my rules for survival today if you’re going to do the same!
Without further ado…
- 6-8 Chicken Breasts
- 2 lbs. Salmon Fillets
- Fresh Salsa (I avoid Pace/Newman’s Own because the liquid-to-veggie ratio is pretty weak)
- Cucumbers (2)
- Peppers (you can usually find a tri-color three pack at your local grocery store)
- 2 lbs. apples
- 2 lbs. pears
- 5 bananas (for my overnight smoothies. Potassium has been linked to restful sleep)
- Bag of oranges
- Blueberries (the ultimate sweetener for my morning oatmeal)
- 1 Whole Pineapple (for what they charge you for a pre-cut, you can hack away for half the price!)
- Carrots (I like to get them whole, then cut them up as sticks for lunches)
- Wild Rice or Quinoa
- Cottage Cheese (I usually go Fat Free or 2%)
- Carton of Egg Whites1 gallon organic skim milk (no antibiotics; one of the things I HIGHLY recommend getting organic)
I know what you’re thinking: I go through a HELL of a lot of food in a week. In fact, truth be told, I may need to go back another time during the week to supplement the list. Since I eat a small meal every 2-3 hours, it’s necessary to stock up on the good stuff to avoid having to hit up the vending machine or cafeteria at the hospital.
So…what’s in YOUR cart?